Apprehensive to launch a career in a traditionally male-dominated industry? Consider the following:
- Women traditionally are credited for possessing patience and attention to detail, which are attributes that are important in trades and technologies.
- While there is a physical component to most trades, new technology has changed the nature of how work gets done.
- Skilled trades require workers with a strong academic foundation in reading, writing, math and sciences, along with dexterity, stamina, good hand-eye coordination and balance which are all qualities that women possess equally with men.
Opportunities for women in the skilled trades are strong and the demand for their presence in these non-traditional occupations is rapidly growing.
Resources for women interested in the trades
- Women Working in the Skilled Trades and Technologies: Myths & Realities
- ConstructionWomen.org – A network of professional women helping women.
- College of Trades: Women in the Trades