The HOAE is an online, computer-based assessment that evaluates an applicant’s knowledge and understanding in areas applicable to college-level health services programs. This 2.5 hour exam consists of the following five timed multiple-choice sections: Academic Aptitude, Spelling, Reading Comprehension, Natural Science and Vocational Aptitude.
How to register for the HOAE
- Applicants who meet admission requirements will be contacted by Admissions and informed that they must write the HOAE.
- You will receive an Acknowledgement Package from Admissions in the mail, which will direct you to the online exam registration page. This page will show available session dates and allow you schedule a test date. Do not register until you receive this package.
- To guarantee a space for testing, you should book and pay for your test immediately after receiving your Acknowledgement Package. Have your student number and credit card available.
You must book your test date and time online if you are testing at Niagara College. Testing is booked on a first-come, first-served basis.
Payment guarantees your test date reservation. Payment must be received at least two days prior to your scheduled testing date.
The Test Centre will contact you by phone or email if there are any problems with your reservation or payment.
Payment can be made online at the time of online registration. A credit card is required.
Not able to pay online?
Payment may also be accepted:
About the exam
- The HOAE can only be written once per application cycle. There are no re-writes.
- All testing must be completed by the deadline. Testing dates and spaces are limited. To guarantee a test date, please book your testing appointment as soon as you have received your Admission package in the mail.
- No external aids, including calculators and dictionaries, are permitted.
To be approved for off-site testing, applicants must be more than three hours from both the Welland and Niagara-on-the-Lake Niagara College campuses. Any applicant within a three hour drive is expected to test at Niagara College. If you live more than three hours from a Niagara College campus, your situation will be assessed on an individual basis and you may be permitted to take the HOAE at a qualified location in your area.
If you wish to request off-site testing, please contact us.
Accommodations for Students with Disabilities
If you are an applicant with a disability and require accommodation to complete this exam, you are required to complete a “Pre-Admission Testing and Accommodation Request Form”, which will be at the end of the online form when you register for your HOAE exam. Please be aware that the type of accommodation(s) received will be based on the recommendation of Niagara College’s Disability Services Office.
For more information and questions about pre-admission testing, please contact Disability Services.
Applicants to other colleges that wish to write the HOAE at Niagara College
If you are not an applicant to a Niagara College program and wish to write the HOAE for another college at one of our campuses, please contact us to arrange for testing.
Transferring your test results to another college
Applicants who have completed the HOAE at Niagara College will have their results submitted directly to OCAS. Your results will then be automatically transferred by OCAS to all other Ontario institutions that you have applied to that require this examination.