What is a “First Generation student”?
First Generation students are students (of any age) whose parents or guardians did not attend college or university. If your siblings attended college or university, you are still considered a First Generation student. Crown Wards are also considered to be First Generation students.
First Generation students face challenges that other students may not encounter. As a First Generation student, you and your parents may require extra information and support to help you feel equipped once you arrive at Niagara College.
Are you a First Generation Student?
You have already taken a HUGE step towards your future, and that is something to be proud of!
How can we help?
If you are a First Generation student, there are many services and opportunities available to you! The First Generation Office, in partnership with Employment Ontario, offers:
- Information sessions, workshops, and networking events to help you succeed at college and beyond
- Bursary – To apply for the bursary, visit http://www.niagaracollege.ca/finaid and look for the “First Generation Bursary”. Applications are available the beginning of the semester for full time First Generation students. Bursaries are applied as a credit towards your tuition and fees. If you’ve already paid in full for both semester of 1 academic year, a refund in the amount of this bursary will be issued to to you.
- Help with your application to college
- Information about the college’s services and resources
- Advice for your family to help them support you as you make the transition to college.
Stay up to date and get involved
Self-identify as a First Gen student
To identify yourself as a First Gen student simply speak to the Niagara College First Generation Advisor. If possible, please have your student ID number available.
Like us on Facebook
We’ve assembled a handy list of College Tips that parents who have gone to college would know to tell their college-bound kids.
Niagara College gratefully acknowledges funding from the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development for the First Generation initiative.