Credit Transfer and Exemptions

How do I transfer from one course to another?

To request a transfer from one course to another (pending space availability), you must:

  • transfer before the start of the second class of the course you are transferring from and,
  • before the start of the second class of the course you are transferring to.

All course transfer requests must be made through the Registrar’s Office. Transfers cannot be made from one term to the next. For more information call 905-735-2211 extension 7500.

How can I get an ‘exemption’ by transferring credits from another school?

A student may be exempted from courses at Niagara based on courses successfully completed at recognized post-secondary institutions. A copy of the Transfer Credit Request form is available online, can be picked up in person at the Registrar’s Office, or by calling 905-735-2211 extension 7538 (Welland Campus) or 905-735-2211 extension 4204 (Niagara-on-the-Lake Campus).

How can I be assessed for credits that I earned through other methods?

Niagara College believes that many people acquire college-level learning and skills through various learning situations such as: work experience, community work, non-credit courses, self-directed study, travel and military service. Candidates who can show that they have achieved the learning outcomes of a specific course may be granted Niagara College credits based on an assessment of their prior learning. For information visit Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition, or call 905-735-2211 extension 7491.

Registration Information