- Type: Online
- Credential: Statement of Completion
- Starts In: Fall, Winter, Spring
- Time to Complete: 5 Years
- Plan #: C2172
The part-time Dietary Food Service Worker program has been developed with the support and co-operation of health care facilities to prepare individuals for employment in food service in a health care setting. You will acquire knowledge and skills that will enable you to become a valuable member of a dietary team.
Mandatory Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-term Care (MOHLTC) Standards for Dietary Services are incorporated throughout the program.
The part-time Dietary Food Service Worker program will prepare you to work in the dietary departments of hospitals, long-term-care facilities, retirement homes, group homes, and other healthcare settings. Possible career paths include:
- Dietary Food Service Worker
- Health Care Food Service Worker
- Dietary Aide
- Working for a community healthcare agency in a client’s home
The program’s syllabus is mandated by the Ontario government, and you must complete it if you wish to gain employment in the dietary departments of hospitals, long-term-care facilities, retirement homes, group homes, and other health care settings. Both graduates and their healthcare employers benefit from this standardized and recognized program.
How to Register
Students do not apply to our part-time programs. Instead, enrol in and successfully complete each course listed in the Program Delivery section. Once you have successfully completed all of the required courses, you may apply to graduate. If you aren't sure how to enrol in a course, you can learn more here.
Prerequisites may be required for these courses. Please refer to individual course descriptions for specific requirements.
The Dietary Food Service Worker Part-Time Program of Study is being revised. Courses have increased hours on the recommendations provided in the “Curriculum for Food service Worker Training Programs” developed by a joint working group of Dietitians of Canada and the Ontario Society of Nutrition Management (OSNM).
See below the course number changes effective Spring 2016.
- HCFS1000 now HCFS1001 – Institutional Food Service
- HOSP11500 now HOSP1006 – Sanitation and Safety
- NUTN1016 now NUTN1004 – Nutrition in Health Care
- COMM1070 now COMM1005 – Communication and the Food Service Worker
- CULN1502 now CULN1002 – Quality Food Preparation
- NUTN1019 now NUTN1003 – Introduction to Nutrition
Past completion of the previous courses will continue to be recognized towards the Dietary Food Service Worker Pat-Time Program of Study completion.