About this Program
Program Highlights and Opportunities
- Our Golf Lab featuring Trackman simulator is a meeting point for students to learn about the latest technology and swing analysis equipment used in the golf industry. The lab is staffed and managed by students in the program.
- All of the program’s golf instructors are industry leaders – Doug Lawrie, PGA of Canada teacher-of-the-year; Warren Crosbie, GMIC Chair and past president, PGA of Canada; John Taylor, Property Manager, Grand Niagara Resort; Anne Edgar, Golf Canada Rules Official; and Grant Fraser, program coordinator.
Networking and Volunteerism
- To date, over $10,000 has been fundraised by the program with Golf Canada to introduce the Golf-in-Schools program to 14 schools in the Niagara Region. The initiative began in 2012. In 2015, approximately 100 students, alumni, faculty and industry supporters attended our event.
- Students participate in the annual Golf Industry Conference hosted by Pro Shop Magazine. This is a volunteer and networking opportunity made available to students by the Program Coordinator.
- Students have the opportunity to participate in an annual Florida Golf Trip during Fall Reading week to Core Golf Academy in Orlando, Florida. The trip is offered in collaboration with Niagara College’s Be World Ready program.
- The Annual Professional Golf Management Industry Showcase, hosted by the 3rd year class, is held at NC to introduce leaders from the golf industry to students.
- Professional Golf Management maintains a presence at the annual Golf and Travel Show in Toronto, and has attended this event yearly since 2001.
Through the faculty network and their close connection to the golf industry, this program receives more job opportunities every year (coop and full time) than the number of students in the program. Over the past three years, Professional Golf Management’s job placement rate has been close to 100%.
This program has the best playing privileges among all the Professional Golf Management programs in the province. In 2015-16, PGM students had playing privileges at 7 golf courses in the Niagara region (Royal Niagara, Peninsula Lakes, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Eagle Valley, Beechwood, Grand Niagara, Willow Dell).
In 2015, the Niagara College varsity golf team were provincial and national champions. The majority of the team is comprised of Professional Golf Management students, two of whom were provincial and national champions.
- Assistant professionals
- Associate professionals
- Director of golf
- Food and beverage managers
- Golf club general managers
- Head professionals
- Teaching professionals
- Tournament director
- Graduates can also pursue careers in the retail sector as sales representatives, store managers, or working for equipment manufacturers.
Niagara College’s Professional Golf Management program provided me with the quality education that I needed in order to succeed as I pursue a career in golf.
Admissions and Availability
Future Study Options
We are proud to provide a range of future study options for NC students. More details on specific opportunities and partnerships can be found at niagaracollege.ca/transfercredit.