Take Our Kids to Work™ is an annual national program in which Grade 9 (or equivalent) students are hosted by parents, friends, relatives and volunteers at workplaces across the country every November. The program supports career development by helping students connect school, the world of work, and their own futures.
Take Our Kids to Work™ Day is celebrated annually on the first Wednesday of November every year. At NC, the day usually includes organized activities in the morning. Agendas for the day are sent to participants.
If you would like to participate, please drop by Human Resources for a form or keep your eye on InsideNC close to November for a link to a digital version of the form. If you are hosting a child that is not your own (child of a friend or family member), please be sure that they fill out the appropriate forms from their school.
Mandatory Safety Rules
The injury rate for workers under 25 years of age is 40% higher than the injury rate for those over 25.
Health and safety is a shared responsibility – students, parents and employers must all participate in safe work practices. At Niagara College, you will be required to abide by the following rules without exception:
- failure to be properly registered for Take Our Kids to Work day will exclude any student from participating
- students and parents must read, discuss and understand these rules prior to the day’s activities
- attendance at the morning orientation is mandatory
- there is zero tolerance for ignoring health and safety guidelines
- students must be under adult supervision at all times while in the workplace – organizers and parent volunteers have the authority to prevent students from leaving the premises unless parental approval is obtained, at which point the parent assumes full responsibility for their child/student
- parents must only invite children into areas that are demonstrably safe, and must restrict activities based on hazard level
- any “hands on” activity must be preceded by a proper orientation
- students, like all other College staff and students, must follow direction from emergency personnel in the event of evacuation or fire alarm
- the operation of any motorized vehicle is strictly prohibited
- personal protective equipment must be worn if required, as determined by the activity
- at the end of the day’s activities, parents and students are encouraged to provide feedback to the organizers with a view to improving safety for future Take Our Kids to Work days
As stated above, parents must ensure that their child/guest fully understands and follows the rules as outlined in this document; the safety of each and every one of us is too important to leave to someone else!