The following admission requirements apply to these intake terms:
- September 2016
- January 2017
- September 2017
- January 2018
Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD), or equivalent, including the following required courses:
- English - any Grade 12 (C) or (U),or equivalent
Recommended courses or skills: What's this?
These courses are not required for admission.
- Challenge and Change in Society - Grade 12 (M)
- Individuals and Families in a Diverse Society - Grade 12 (M)
- Issues in Human Growth and Development - Grade 12 (M)
- Parenting and Human Development - Grade 12 (E)
- Living and Working with Children - Grade 11 (C)
- Health Care - Grade 11 (C)
- Related volunteer or cooperative work experience
Selection and Ranking Process
For competitive programs (the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of available places), selection will be based on the highest senior level final grade available at the time of ranking. Mid-term grades are not used for ranking purposes. Testing or other supplemental evaluation may be required.
Program Requirements What's this?
Criminal Reference Check (CRC):
Many employers have instituted a CRC with vulnerable sector screening as a requirement for appropriate field placements. The CRC applications will be provided at the beginning of the program term 1 and are to be completed before the start of term 2. All costs associated with the CRC are the responsibility of the student.
Note: Students with criminal charges or convictions will be severely limited in placements and/or employment opportunities. Those with criminal charges impending or an uncleared criminal record (criminal convictions must be pardoned, sealed or expunged) are not eligible for a field placement experience.
Students are responsible for their own transportation in order to complete field placement requirements. Niagara College cannot guarantee placements that are readily accessible by public transportation. Students are responsible for all costs connected with such transportation.
- The confidential Communicable Disease Surveillance (CDS) form must be completed and submitted to Student Health Services prior to start of program. Please view the current CDS form and Checklist for requirements (vaccination documentation/proof of immunity to measles, mumps, rubella, varicella, and 2 step TB testing) at niagaracollege.ca/healthservices. Influenza, hepatitis B, tetanus diphtheria pertussis vaccinations are recommended
- All costs associated with vaccinations and/or verification, are the responsibility of the student.
- A current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR level C) and Standard First Aid certification is also highly recommended by placement agencies and employers. Students are responsible for all costs.
- Please note that work as an educational assistant and /or support worker may require lifting up to 22.7 kilograms (50 pounds). Additionally, some Boards of Education have instituted a fit for field test.