The following admission requirements apply to these intake terms:
- September 2016
- September 2017
Required for Admission:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in education, with Primary/Junior focus AND
- Proof of English Proficiency
Selection and Ranking Process
For competitive programs (the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of available places), selection will be based on the highest senior level final grade available at the time of ranking. Mid-term grades are not used for ranking purposes. Testing or other supplemental evaluation may be required.
Program Requirements What's this?
Criminal Reference Check (CRC)
All employers have instituted a CRC with vulnerable sector screening as a requirement for field placements as a result of Bill 18. The CRC will be required at the beginning of the program. All costs associated with the CRC are the responsibility of the student
Note: Students with criminal charges or convictions will be severely limited in placement and/or employment opportunities. Those with criminal charges impending or an uncleared criminal record (criminal convictions must be pardoned, sealed or expunged) are not eligible for a field placement experience.
Students are responsible for their own transportation in order to complete field placement requirements. Niagara College cannot guarantee placements that are readily accessible by public transportation. Students are responsible for all costs associated with such transportation.
- The confidential Communicable Disease Surveillance (CDS) form must be completed and submitted to Student Health Services prior to start of program. Please view the current CDS form and Checklist for requirements (vaccination documentation/proof of immunity to measles, mumps, rubella, varicella, and 2 step TB testing) at niagaracollege.ca/health-services. Influenza, hepatitis B, tetanus diphtheria pertussis vaccinations are recommended.
- All costs associated with vaccinations, and/or verification, are the responsibility of the student.
- A current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR level C) and Standard First Aid certification is required. Students are responsible for all costs.
- All health requirements must be met or a placement will be denied.
- Students applying to the ECEA program should recognize the physical demands involved in caring for children and may be required to lift up to 22.7 kilograms (50 pounds).