Admission requirements for this program include:
- Ontario College Diploma (or equivalent) in Child and Youth Care (Worker), Communication Disorders Assistant, Developmental Services Worker, Early Childhood Education, Educational Assistant, Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant, Social Service Worker or Therapeutic Recreation or
- Bachelor’s Degree in Behavioural Science, Child Studies, Education, Psychology, Speech and Language Sciences, Social Work or Sociology or
- For applicants who have studied outside of these fields of study, please submit a one-page cover letter indicating why you feel you would be successful in the ABS program, what experience you have already, and a résumé that includes your educational and work background with a current e-mail address or
- Proof of English language proficiency
Additional requirements for admission:
Visit www.niagaracollege.ca/par for information about additional pre-admission requirements for this program.
Selection and Ranking
Testing or other supplemental evaluation may be required.
Program Requirements What's this?
Criminal Reference Check (CRC):
- Many employers have instituted a CRC with vulnerable sector screening as a requirement for appropriate field placements. The CRC will be required at the beginning of the program Term 1.
- All costs associated with the CRC are the responsibility of the student.
- Note: Students with criminal charges or convictions will be severely limited in placements and/or employment opportunities. Those with criminal charges pending or an uncleared criminal record (criminal convictions must be pardoned, sealed or expunged) are not eligible for a field placement experience.
Students are responsible for their own transportation in order to complete field placement requirements. Niagara College cannot guarantee placements that are readily accessible by public transportation. Students are responsible for all costs connected with such transportation.
- The confidential Communicable Disease Surveillance (CDS) form must be completed and submitted to Student Health Services prior to start of program. Please view the current CDS form and checklist for requirements (vaccination documentation/proof of immunity to measles, mumps, rubella, varicella, and 2 step TB testing) at niagaracollege.ca/healthservices.
- Influenza, hepatitis B, tetanus, diphtheria pertussis vaccinations are recommended.
- A current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR level C) and Standard First Aid certification is also highly recommended by placement agencies and employers.
- Students applying to this program should recognize the physical demands involved in caring for children and may be required to lift up to 22.7 kilograms (50 pounds).
- All costs are the responsibility of the student.