Niagara College’s online presence took on a bold new look and feel this week, as the college launched a completely new website.
The new niagaracollege.ca is now live, and represents a significant change from the previous version of the site.
While the improvements and new features are many, the key changes are distinct areas for specific audiences, and a responsive design that allows the site to be viewed on tablets and devices of all shapes and sizes.
“Our new site includes prominent sections for all of our key audiences – current students, staff and faculty, alumni and the community – that are easy to identify and navigate,” said Dorita Pentesco, Niagara College’s director of Marketing and Recruitment. “The new niagaracollege.ca is a great example of the current trends and best practices in web design.”
The responsive design is recognition of the fact that mobile devices have overtaken desktop computers for online browsing. In fact, between 2010 and 2014, smartphone usage increased 394% and tablet usage climbed an astounding 1,721%.
“Responsive design means the new niagaracollege.ca’s appearance and functionality will adapt to all smartphones, tablets, browsers and operating systems,” said Pentesco.
Other key features of the new site include:
- A new community portal at http://www.niagaracollege.ca/employers-community/ that features community events, specials at the Niagara College learning enterprises, and news from NC services;
- A portal for students at http://www.niagaracollege.ca/students/ that features important news and information for current students;
- A more visual appearance with an emphasis on images and multimedia content;
- A more user-friendly, easy-to-navigate design;
- New resources for staff, including access to human resources and financial tools and information; and
- A notification system that will provide a prominent message bar across all pages of the site for closures, service disruptions and other major announcements.
A prominent slide show on the home page provides links to compelling stories of student and graduate success. The website also incorporates popular features of the previous site, including a virtual tour that provides a 360-degree online walk through the Welland and Niagara-on-the-Lake Campuses.
Niagara College offers more than 100 diploma, bachelor degree and advanced level programs at campuses in Welland, Niagara-on-the-Lake, and Niagara Falls; as well as more than 600 credit, vocational and general interest Part-Time Studies courses. Areas of specialization include food and wine sciences, advanced technology, media, applied health and community safety, supported by unique learning enterprises in food, wine, beer, horticulture and esthetics. For more information visit NiagaraCollege.ca.
Media inquiries, please contact:
Senior Communications Officer
Office: 905.735.2211 ext. 7773
Office: 905.735.2211 ext. 7368